Community Information Policy
Policy Number: 14-74
Policy Approval Date: October 14, 2014
Policy Review Date: October 2017
The public library is a place where ideas and thoughts are freely available, and the appropriate place for these discussions is within the library's collections and not in display areas. This policy conforms to the Canadian Library Association's Statement of Intellectual Freedom (1983) and does not imply the approval or endorsement of any material that is posted.
All material becomes the property of the Huntsville Public Library and the Library reserves the right to dispose of material as it sees fit. The Library does not return unsolicited material or notify a group if their material is not acceptable for any reason, including lack of space.
After the needs of the Library and the Town of Huntsville are met, the Library may elect to provide a Community Events Board for information about events that serve the needs of its local community. The amount of information that may be displayed in this manner is dependent upon space available.
Unsolicited material may be accepted for display if it meets all of these criteria:
- It describes a public educational, recreational, cultural, or community interest event.
- It is of local interest, occurring in the Huntsville area and relevant to the local community.
- It is in support of a legally constituted non-profit or charitable organization or a government-supported agency such as the Board of Education.
Materials that may not be acceptable for display may include:
- Retail or wholesale advertisements, private notices, personal services and information about money-making events sponsored by for-profit organizations.
- Material that contravenes the Human Rights Code, the Charter of Rights, the Criminal Code of Canada, Town of Huntsville bylaws, or subsequent legislation.
- Material that advocates a particular political, religious or philosophic position.
- Petitions and solicitations.
- Material inappropriate in size (larger than 8 1/2" x 11") and format, or that is received less than 14 days in advance of an event.
- Material, as determined by staff, not relevant to their immediate community.
The Library may elect to distribute publications from major cultural organizations and educational institutions such as college calendars, Haliburton School of the Arts, and Stratford or Shaw Festival events. The availability of these is dependent upon space and appropriate distribution facilities. These items may not be placed at circulation or information desks, or on the floor, and should not take visual precedence over Library or Town of Huntsville information.
Materials can be dropped off in the Circulation Desk of Huntsville Public Library or mailed to the following address:
Huntsville Public Library
7 Minerva St.
Materials are reviewed daily by Library Administration Assistant to determine what can be posted within these guidelines.
Note: Community publicity is approved and posted only as space and staff time permit.