About Website Accessibility
The Huntsville Public Library is committed to accessibility, both in our branch and online. The library's website is reviewed regularly and accessibility is an important part of our development process. We strive to exceed the user standards set-out in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Text and Readability
Text is presented as machine readable text, so it can be resized, reformatted and easily migrated to different environments so that it is easier to understand. Non-decorative images are always presented with a filled-in alt attribute, so that they can be interpreted by screen readers.
Text to Speech Utilities
Your computer can read aloud text that is printed on the screen.
Windows Narrator is a program that comes installed with Windows. It reads what is displayed on your screen: the contents of the active window, menu options, or the text you have typed.
To activate Narrator:
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type "Narrator" and hit Enter.
- A new window will appear with Narrator options as you begin to hear what is written on the screen.
Apple's VoiceOver is a built in screen reader that lets you interact with your Mac based on spoken descriptions.
To start VoiceOver
- Press Command + F5.
- Your computer should begin to speak the content of your screen.
You can increase the size of what you can see on the screen by doing the following on your computer:
To make items on the screen appear bigger you can use a program called Magnifier.
Open Magnifier by clicking the Start button, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Magnifier.
Press the Windows button on your keyboard, type "magnifier" and then hit Enter.
Move the pointer to the part of the screen that you want to magnify.
Turn on screen zooming by pressing Option and Apple and the asterisk (*) key at the same time.
- Zoom in by pressing Option and Apple and the plus (+) key at the same time.
- Zoom out by pressing Option and Apple and the minus (-) key at the same time.
- Turn off screen zooming by pressing Option and Apple and the asterisk (*) key at the same time.
Back to Accessibility Page