Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA)
If you or someone you know has a visual or print disability, a partnership between the Huntsville Library and the Centre for Equitable Library Access (CELA) offers alternative ways of reading.
We can help you experience the joy of reading through:
- Audiobook materials available in DAISY format. Click here to see our collection.
- A DAISY player (Victor Reader Stratus) which can be borrowed for two weeks.
- Alternative formats (Braille, DAISY and Descriptive Video) through CELA's Interlibrary Loan System. Interloan items can be delivered to the Library or to your home.
- Access to the CELA Digital Library collection, which also offers access to more than 80,000 books, newspapers, magazines, music and descriptive movies in alternative formats. Visit celalibrary.ca for more information.
How to Register for CELA Services
In order to receive items from CELA's interlibrary loan system, or to borrow the DAISY player you will need to register with CELA.
Access to the CELA collection is available only to people with perceptual disabilities as defined under the provisions of the Canadian Copyright Act. This includes the following:
- Learning disability: An impairment relating to comprehension
- Physical disability: The inability to hold or manipulate a book
- Visual disability: Severe or total impairment of sight or the inability to focus or move one’s eyes
To register for CELA services, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
What is a DAISY Audiobook?
DAISY is the new digital talking book standard, developed by libraries for people who are blind or have print-related disabilities. The DAISY standard was developed in order to enable a person who is blind or print disabled to access the information in a book with the same ease with which a sighted person accesses information in a print book. DAISY audiobooks have superior sound quality and functionality compared to other audio formats. Special features include chapter, paragraph, phrase and word navigation, bookmarking, skimming, sleep modes and reading speed control.
DAISY titles fit on a single compact disc. These discs are meant to be played in special DAISY-compatible machines such as VictorReaders. Because of their special formatting, DAISY discs cannot be played on standard CD players unless those players are MP3-compatible.
DAISY titles can also be listened to on your computer, using DAISY playback software. Click here to download the software.
Back to Accessibility Page